This August just swooshed by. I finished traipsing around all the nooks and crannies of Taipei for work, wrapped up a major project and am going to enjoy a one week staycation… starting now! This is the first summer in two years that I am not changing jobs, traveling for work, traveling for pleasure, or moving. I thought I would miss the flurry of activity, especially the traveling, but it turns out I am really relishing the feeling of staying put…and staying put means I can indulge in my two favorite activities~ reading and putting things in order. 一轉眼八月也快過去了。這個月我看了好幾本好書，整理了一下家裡的小角落， 悠閒的在家裡吃了好幾次晚餐，還有幫弟弟慶生。提到慶生～我很愛送禮物，尤其是生日禮物。 但有時候真的不知道送什麼。 今年我們兩個終於想出一個很棒的方式：直接跟對方說想要什麼～ 另外一位就負債達成願望就好了。這個方式， 讓送禮物， 收禮物的人都很happy! 八月剩下的幾天， 我要讓自己放一個小假好好充電，準備好迎接忙碌的九月。
- Eslite is having a great summer sales program. I bought four books, and traded in some of my Eslite points for a some artwork by Japanese artist Noritake. I love the simple drawing, and of course the message. I’m framing it and hanging it up in my office.
2. I’ve read three of the books so far (Wonder, Big Little Lies, and Everything I Never Told You) and now I’m reading “Goodbye Things.” I was drawn to the title because I’m trying to adopt a simpler lifestyle. Some guidelines I’m trying to live by are, buying less, buying better. No hoarding. One rainy afternoon, I tackled the easiest part, my beauty supplies. I gathered all the items I have squirreled away in various corners of my apartment, and put them all into one drawer. Now that everything is one place, I can see what I have left before buying something new. I’m also keeping my empties this year, and trying to gauge how long it actually takes me to finish a product. Simplifying is a work in progress for me. It’s my inclination to have backups of everything, in case of… [insert possible disaster here] so trying to change this habit is a little unnerving. But I’m going to keep at it. Next, I’ll be taking on the two areas where the hoarding is the most severe: kitchenware and stationery. Stay tuned for updates.
3. One of my favorite parts of summer is that I have time to eat dinner at home. I’ve been trying to find easy and quick foods that I can throw together once things pick up in September. I found these crazily delicious frozen dumplings. They are made from carefully selected ingredients; the filling is savory and hearty and the dumpling skin is chewy and tastes just like homemade. I also almost forgot about this tray I bought in Korea, as a tribute to my childhood obsession with not letting my foods touch each other. Now that I’m own boss (who chooses and washes all my own dishes) I can indulge my obsession to the hilt.
4. My little brother’s birthday was at the end of August, and we celebrated with sukiyaki. We’ve been through a lot together these past couple of years, and it’s nice to see him in a context where we are just having fun, and not worrying about other things. We’ve also come up with a brilliant plan for giving birthday presents for the rest of our lives. We are just going to tell each other one item that what we really want, and the other person will get exactly that item. This year, he wanted a subscription to Harper’s Magazine, and that’s exactly what he got! What a simple, yet satisfying way to give gifts… and it only took us three decades to figure it out 😀
5. Lastly, my blog is celebrating its fourth birthday this year. I love that WordPress sends me a little celebratory message. I can’t believe that t’s been 4 years and 185 posts! Thank you so much for reading (and commenting) Please let me know if there is anything that you would like to see more of here (Product reviews? Baking projects? Field trips?) and I will see what I can do! From the bottom of my heart, thank you for being here.
PS: You can read my very first post here.
So, that’s it for August. I’m really looking forward to my 5 day stay-cation, starting tomorrow. During this time, I will most likely be visiting a few cafes and patisseries on my bucket list, organizing and getting ready for work in September, and sleeping 8+ hours a night (luxurious!). Follow me over on Instagram to see what else I’m up to. Enjoy!