Quite a long time ago, I had a bowl of pumpkin soup at Paul’s Patisserie. I remember that it was tasty, but my mind was preoccupied with their delicious pastries, so I forgot about it. Until now.
有一次去 Paul 跟朋友吃飯的時候， 吃到一碗還不錯的南瓜湯。但因為我的注意力全部被他們的草莓千層 pie 移走了， 我沒有特別紀錄下來。 但記得很爽口， 除了甜甜的南瓜味， 還有淡淡的鮮奶油的香氣。
I came home one day to find a pumpkin in my living room, which was a gift from a family friend who has a garden plot in Yang-ming-shan（陽明山). She must have a bumper crop this year, because they kept coming. To date, there are still at least three mid-sized pumpkins, sitting in my kitchen that I haven’t found recipes for.
一天回到家裡， 在客廳遇到一顆超級大的南瓜。 （原來是家人的朋友自己在陽明山上種的）那麼大的南瓜， 要怎麼吃才好呢？ 那時候， 就想到 Paul’s 的南瓜湯。 所以， 有一個週末的下午， 我就把這顆南瓜給栽了， 再煮成湯。 [題外話，中文教學時間又到了， 我家人說， 南瓜是用切的， 不是用 “栽” 的， But, 那麼難切的東西， 怎麼可能用切的？ （奶油是用切的吧！） 我是用了我們家最大的菜刀，才切的動。那麼大費周章 當然也要用一個比較 powerful (有力量） 的字來形容吧！]
I used a recipe from BBC Good Food. Instead of a canned version of vegetable stock, I used my own version of vegetable stock, which just has celery, carrots, mushrooms and onions, leeks, and an apple. (I could pretend that the apple was a “secret” ingredient, but the truth was, it was a slightly wrinkly, very expensive Fuji apple, that I didn’t want to waste, but I was surprised that it added a lovely hint of sweetness to the broth)
如果追求簡單的食譜， 那湯底可以用罐頭的高湯。 但我覺得通常罐頭的高湯太鹹了， 所以我就自己熬了一鍋蔬菜湯底。 裡面就放了一些青菜，香菇紅蘿蔔，大蒜 （leeks) 洋蔥， 還有一顆蘋果。我用中火煮了一個多小時， 然後把煮熟的青菜撈出來， 再加上烤熟，去皮的南瓜，還有鮮奶油。 到了照片右下角的時候， 你會很想放棄， 因為那時候， 湯會看起來有一點恐怖。 但別擔憂。 一切就交給果汁機來處理就好了！
While the vegetable stock was cooking, I roasted the pumpkin in the oven, with a generous swig of olive oil and a sprinkle of coarse salt. After letting the stock bubble away for about 2 hours, I fished out all the vegetables from the stock, and added in the pumpkin,and cream. By then, the soup looks a bit scary, with chunks of pumpkin, and stray bits of vegetable. Never fear, just dump it into the blender (only fill the blender about 3/4s of the way full, otherwise you may sling hot soup all over your kitchen (not that I learned that by experience, or anything)
最後的步驟， 就是把湯再過濾一次， 這樣就確保湯裡面不會有渣渣。 （大概是我果汁機不夠高級， 所以難免還是有一些小小的纖維）
Even though pumpkin soup seems to be a bit warm for these hot summer evenings, it’s actually quite tasty lukewarm, served with a dollop of fresh cream, and also with a couple slices of fresh whole wheat bread. I toasted the bread with some fresh shavings of parmesan, thus creating a light, yet satisfying dinner.
本來以為南瓜湯是冬天的菜餚， 但覺得其實夏天吃也很輕爽。 這次我配上剛出爐的全麥麵包 覺得是很滿足的一餐！
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1kg pumpkins or squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 142ml heavy cream
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook 2 finely chopped onions for 5 minutes, until soft but not colored.
- Add 1kg peeled, deseeded and chopped pumpkin or squash to the pan, continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour 700ml vegetable stock into the pan, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes until the squash is very soft.
- Pour the 142ml pot of double cream into the pan, bring back to boil, then purée with a hand blender.
- For an extra-velvety consistency you can now push the soup through a fine sieve into another pan.
(The soup can also be frozen for up to two months)
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Foods